Position Summary: The ideal candidate for this position will hold a PhD with 0-5 years of experience following completion of training. The overall Research focus of this position will be to develop methods for isolating and characterizing stem and progenitor cells from whole, deceased donor bone marrow. Of particular need is isolation of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells; thus, previous experience with mononuclear cell enrichment and CD34+ selection is highly desired. Experience with isolating and/or propagating other stem, committed progenitor and mature cell types, such as mesenchymal stem/stromal cells, common lymphoid/myeloid progenitors and T cells, would also be of interest. This work will involve adapting established methods as well as developing and implementing novel methods and tools when required. This position will report directly to the Director of R&D.
• Independently conduct a variety of complex and independent investigations in the planning, development, and implementation of original experimental procedures within the overall scope of CD34+ cell selection as well as selection of other cells of interest from whole bone marrow obtained from deceased donors.
• Design experimental procedures/protocols;
• Must be able to meet deadlines and work within strict timelines;
• Collect, analyze and report on experimental data; Perform computer data analysis; Statistical analysis of data;
• Prepare progress reports and presentations; Publish research findings;
• Design and/or fabricate specialized equipment as needed;
• Create and maintain accurate and timely records of test results and protocol design;
• Participate in meetings with Principle Investigator to evaluate and interpret the validity of data and evaluate laboratory procedures;
• Assist, as needed, with performing all aspects of processing human and animal tissue (debridement, dissection, cutting, cleaning and disinfection, sizing, assessing) according to current procedures and protocols;
• Act as a preceptor and mentor to new research employees as needed.
• Interact closely with other departments within Ossium Health, including but not limited to Process Sciences, Manufacturing Operations, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Clinical Operations and Regulatory Affairs.
• Perform activities in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
• PhD in life sciences, engineering or equivalent.
• Documented experience with stem cell isolation, with a strong preference for CD34+ cell selection
• Experience in aseptic and/or cell-culture operations is required.
• A working knowledge of safety, quality systems and quality assurance concepts is required.
• Must have a strong focus on quality, attention to detail, and results.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills are required as well as demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
This position requires working with human and animal tissues. Training in blood borne pathogen safety measures will be provided. New hires will be given the option of Hepatitis B vaccination.
This Position requires use of cryogenic substances (liquid Nitrogen). Training in the use of liquid nitrogen will be provided.